2011-2012 6th – 8th Grades Grading Scale
Positive Individual Effort: 50%
(Daily Participation / Attitude)
Skill Awareness and Knowledge: 30%
Preparedness for Class: 20%
1. Demonstrate Motor Skills & Movement Patterns in a Variety of Physical Activities
2. Demonstrate Knowledge of Movement Concepts, Principles and Strategies
3. Assess and Maintain Physical Fitness Levels to Improve Health and Performance
4. Demonstrate Knowledge of Physical Fitness Concepts, Principles and Strategies
5. Demonstrate Knowledge and Utilize Psychological & Sociological Concepts, Principles & Strategies
As in all classes at SMCS, students are expected to come to Physical Education class prepared and ready to learn. Students are expected to put forth their best effort and always allow and encourage others to do the same. Cooperation and acceptance of individual differences are social skills in the curriculum and essential to ensure every student has a positive Physical Education experience. Unsportsmanlike conduct or disrespect toward others is never tolerated.
GENERAL PHYSICAL EDUCATION CLASS POLICIES:
MIDDLE SCHOOL GRADING SYSTEM:
There are three major categories which, when added together, make up each quarter’s grade.
1. INDIVIDUAL EFFORT - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --50%
• Students are expected to consistently give a complete effort in class.
• Grades are based on the individual’s effort observed throughout the quarter.
PARTICIPATION / ATTITUDE – (Affective Domain)
• Students are expected to be in attendance daily and to participate fully with a good attitude in all class
• Lack of participation during a class or displaying a poor attitude will be recorded in the daily grade book.
2. SKILL EVALUATIONS – (Psychomotor Domain) - - - - - - - - - - 30%
• Grades are based on the average of skills tests given throughout the quarter.
• Skill tests include observed skill acquisition, practice, refinement, and application.
KNOWLEDGE EVALUATIONS – (Cognitive Domain)
• Grades are based on the average of written tests given throughout the quarter.
• Written tests include health and fitness concepts, sport history and rules, terminology and applied knowledge.
3. PREPARED FOR CLASS - - - - - - - - 20%
• Students are expected to be in the school sanctioned PE uniform which should not be altered in any way.
• Ankle length socks
• Athletic shoes must have laces or Velcro. (No slip on shoes)
• Lack of being dressed out and ready for class will result in a “O” for their class preparation grade and a “O” in their participation grade for that day, due to the student’s inability to participate in the class for that day.
TOTAL GRADE POINTS - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 100%
A+ = 99 - 100
A = 95 - 98
A- = 93 - 94
B+ = 91 - 92
B = 88 - 90
B- = 86 - 87
C+ = 84 - 85
C = 80 - 83
C- = 78 - 79
D+ = 76 - 77
D = 72 - 75
D- = 70 - 71
F = below 70